USING THE TEST
Lab technology that’s easy to use
In-office molecular accuracy* in 3 simple steps1
LUCIRA® by Pfizer COVID-19 & Flu Test is easy for your staff to learn and use, and requires no extensive training. In just a few steps, you can start testing for COVID-19, Flu A, and Flu B simultaneously using the single-use, 3-in-1, molecular test for these common respiratory pathogens.
Test kits contain everything needed to perform one (1) LUCIRA® by Pfizer COVID-19 & Flu Test, including instructions, 2 AA batteries, 1 test unit, 1 sample vial, 1 sterile nasal swab, and 1 disposal bag. For this test to work properly, it is important to read the instructions and follow each step.
*The LUCIRA® by Pfizer COVID-19 & Flu Test provides a level of accuracy comparable to highly sensitive lab-based polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests. Negative results do not preclude SARS-CoV-2, influenza A, and/or influenza B infection and should not be used as the sole basis for patient management decisions.
To begin, set up the test in a suitable location1
- Choose a location where the test can be left alone for 30 minutes
- Open Pouch 1 that contains the testing device, insert the batteries (2 AA), and then check that the Ready light is on
- Open Pouch 2 that contains the sample vial. Remove the sample vial seal and gently set the vial into the test unit (do not push down)
- Both nostrils must be swabbed for the test to work properly. Using sterile technique, remove the swab and hold it by the handle end. Then tilt the patient’s head back and fully insert the swab tip into the nostril until resistance is felt
- Roll the swab 5 times around the inside of the nostril, making sure the swab touches the walls of the nostril as the swab is rotated. Repeat for the other nostril
- Insert the swab into the sample vial until it touches the bottom and stir it around the sample vial 15 times. Discard the swab after stirring
- Snap the lid of the sample vial closed and press the vial down into the test unit until it clicks. The test is running when the Ready light is blinking
- Do not move the test unit while the test is in progress
- The Ready light will continue blinking while the test is running. A positive result may display while the test is still running. Complete results will display after 30 minutes
Get the results you need, when you need them
- Get the answer you need in 30 minutes or less1
- Positive result for COVID-19, Flu A, or Flu B may show in as few as 11 minutes, while a negative or invalid result will display in 30 minutes1†
- Clear, easy-to-read display lets you know whether a result is positive, negative, or invalid1
How to interpret results
When the test is finished after 30 minutes, the Ready light will turn off and result lights will show for COVID-19, Flu A, and/or Flu B. The behavior of the lights indicates a positive, negative, or invalid result. A positive result may show in as few as 11 minutes, while a negative or invalid result will display in 30 minutes.1†
Reading LUCIRA® by Pfizer Test Results1
Complete results display in 30 minutes
Positive results light up on the right.
Negative results light up on the left.
Positive and negative lights blink simultaneously if the result is invalid.‡
†Full results in 30 minutes. Negative results should be confirmed with further testing, if clinically indicated.1
‡Invalid results may occur for one, two, or all three viruses. Positive or negative results for other viruses are still valid if one or two viruses are invalid. If you receive any invalid results, retest with a new test or contact Pfizer at 1-888-LUCIRA-4 (582-4724). Contact Pfizer if result is invalid upon retesting.1
After the test is complete, dispose of the test and materials.
After use, remove the batteries, place the test unit in the plastic disposal bag, and dispose of all test kit materials in accordance with local regulations. Do not allow the test unit to come into contact or be disposed of with bleach, as harmful gases could be emitted as a result.1
Frequently Asked Questions
LUCIRA® by Pfizer COVID-19 & Flu Test may be reimbursable through insurance. As a molecular, multiplex respiratory diagnostic test, LUCIRA® by Pfizer falls under CPT code 87636, as defined by the American Medical Association:
87636: Infectious agent detection by nucleic acid (DNA or RNA); severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) (Coronavirus disease [COVID-19]) and influenza virus types A and B, multiplex amplified probe technique.1,3-6